Before You Email to Ask, Please Read:

No, I do not accept advertising. No, I will not promote your market research, website, product, or whatever else you're pushing. No, I do not want your advertisement masquerading as a guest post.
THIS IS AN AD-FREE BLOG.
Please kindly refrain from harassing my readers. Thank you.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Working Class Foodies

Let me give a shout out to the lovely Ms. CRS for introducing me to Threadbanger. I've learned so much good crafty and DIY stuff from that awesome little site!

As the internets would have it, Threadbanger has introduced me to a new love, Hungry Nation's Working Class Foodies. Like Threadbanger (I think they're produced by the same online production company), it's a how-to internet show. The show features inexpensive recipes using seasonal and locally-sourced foods. I'm going to try the apple cake recipe this weekend!

What I love about Threadbanger and Working Class Foodies is that it shows real people (ok, real kids--why is 20-something so ungodly young to me these days?) in real homes doing real projects. I've watched two episodes on both "channels" recently and both had the hosts working in messy kitchens with well-used utensils and pots, a far cry from the usual visual fair on television.

You may be a lover of perfection, but every time I watch some home-related show that features an immaculate home that looks as if it hasn't been lived in by anyone not suffering from a severe case of OCD, I start to feel a tinge of guilt mixed with shame and slathered in a sauce of god-you-are-so-lame-why-don't-you-redecorate-? misery. Who honestly has a bedside table free of magazines, rolled up balls of tissue and random lotion bottles?

Wait, that last combination didn't sound right.

Anyway, don't get me wrong, I love to see creative types doing beautiful things with their homes, but I would much rather see real folks in their natural habitats. My kitchen doesn't look like it stepped off the pages of a magazine and chances are, neither does yours, or virtually anyone else inhabiting a life sans lighting and design professionals. The constant barrage of perfect images of perfect homes inhabited by perfect people using perfect products will eventually beat even the most frugal and socially conscious zealot down.

Thank the lawd for the internets and brave souls who create something a little more genuine. Check 'em out!

(Disclaimer: No, I don't work for Threadbanger, Working Class Foodies or their parent company. I don't work for Green America either, but if you haven't entered the Green America membership contest, ya'd best get to it! Just a few hours left.)

8 comments:

CRS said...

Oh my goodness - another great RSS feed! That apple cake does look amazing.

ConsciouslyFrugal said...

The recipes are on the blog! Aren't they just so cute?

CRS said...

I love the whole real kitchen vibe - all my stuff is old and beat up too!

foxrunstudios2 said...

Hooray for ALL the working class foodies. I'm a proud member! It's up to us to keep the local/honest/organic/homegrown/homemade food revolution going. Thanks for carrying the torch!

Rebecca said...

Hi there!

This is Rebecca of the Working Class Foodies, and I just wanted to say THANK YOU SO MUCH for this super lovely review (for lack of a better word) of our show.
We love our lived-in kitchen so much, too, and we're glad that others aren't put off by it's realism.

When you make the apple cake, share your photos/video with us! You can upload things here.

Check back every Monday for new episodes, and keep telling us how we're doing - we love feedback, even if it's bad!

-Rebecca

ConsciouslyFrugal said...

Hey, hey! Glad to share such a fabulous show, Rebecca. Thank you so much for giving us something life-affirming, informative and genuine to watch.

THE HOLE THING ® said...

You are so funny and entertaining to read. Really I wonder how many of us have pans like I do with missing handles, and spatulas that should have been thrown out eons ago!

ConsciouslyFrugal said...

And you are so creative and fabulous, Ms. The Hole Thing!

So happy to be able to share this little show with folks. I hope it gets a stellar following. I just love, love, love seeing people create fabulous lives through work they love.